Creating a Matrix Product
Why do I want to make a matrix product?
matrix products are used when a customer has choices when they buy the product and when you want to track inventory for those choices. Example: if you have a polo shirt in your store that comes in sizes small, medium and large and you want to track how many you have in stock in each size - you want to use a configurable product.
How to Create a matrix Product
These are the basic steps. You will want to create configurable attributes before you begin. These are lists of size, sub-size, color and other options that make up your customer's choices for the matrix product.
From Catalog>> Products >> Click on Add New button
- Enter your product unique name
- Select your product type Matrix product
- Enter needed SKU for the product
- fill in Retail price
- Complete the New Product by entering a vendor, Brand and so forth(optional).
- Click Save - the Configurable product is saved.
- now we have to complete matrix setup for our simple items, from "Matrix SKUs" menu.
- Select what type of Matrix that you want to create, (in this example will choose one attribute matrix).
- choose your attribute Role whether it is size, color or other, then Select an attribute list.
- after selecting needed Matrix SKUs, click on the save button, and you just created your first matrix product!
Things to Note
- Simple Variants are assigned SKUs automatically but you can change these in the Configurable items - Alternate IDs tab. You can also enter manufacturer UPCs on this screen for all simple variants as well.
- We automatically add the variant attribute options to the simple variant product description. So Nike Polo becomes Nike Polo-Small-Red and so forth.
- If your variants have different prices be sure to change the store price and web price for the simple variants.