How to Create a Simple Product
There are four requires fields when creating a simple product: Name, Product Type, SKU, Price. The remainder of the fields are optional.
- Name - Select a product name that will be printed on the receipt and other inventory documents. There is a functional limit of 500 character, but we recommend choosing a name short enough to display on your receipt.
- Product Type - This field determines the structure of the product record and cannot be changed after saving the product record for the first time. Chose Simple or Matrix Product for things which you track inventory. Non-Inventory is for fees, labor and other charges as well as things you don't think are worth tracking.
- SKU - Provide the product with a SKU that is unique and a unique, descriptive Item Name. Optionally you can also enter a Style - if your product also has a Style Name. All these fields are used when searching for products. More search and id fields are available under the alternate ID's tab.
- Enter the Replacement Cost and markup (Gross Margin) or the Retail Price (these fields will adjust as you change them to show the correct markup percent).
- Main Vendor is optional, so is Brand but if you wish to use the Purchase orders and supplier shipments modules you need to add a main supplier. Alternate suppliers are handled on the Alternate ID's tab.
- This displays the current stock and reorder information for your stores as well as providing a way to set the reorder levels and the opening stock balance and value.
- To set the opening stock balance select any number of stores that will be set the same and enter the beginning stock balance. If you wish you can change the value (cost) of the stock.
- To set the reorder level select any number of stores that will be set the same and enter the reorder level and qty to order. These values are used by the reorder tools in purchase orders
This tab contains many flags that change the behavior of the product in your system:
In the right part of this section contains a few Settings based on default Vendor:
- Minimum order quantity - if the main vendor requires some number of these for a reorder such as min order '6' - buyer will be alerted in purchasing module.
- Discontinued item - continues to show up in searches and can be sold, received, transferred and placed on promotion but can no longer be ordered.