To begin creating a new simple products, navigate to Catalog>>Products>> and click on the '+ Add New' Button.
The product record is organized with a series of tabs across the top of the record.
The first tab is the Details tab. This tab includes all the required Product Record fields, which are marked with a red asterisk.
- Name - Name of the product that will be displayed at register and printed on the receipt. The Name must be unique.
- Product Type - The default value of the product type is Simple Product - which is used when there is one product for one SKU. Other options are Non-Inventory (for items where you do not want to keep stock) and Matrix Product (where there are many product size/color/other variants for a single parent SKU).
- SKU - You must provide the product with a SKU that is unique. May be combination of letters and numbers.
- Retail Price - The price for the item used at the register (i.e.the amount that you want to sell the product for).
Style - Your product may also have a Style name/code.
Main Vendor - Used for reporting purposes.
Brand - Used for reporting purposes.
Open Stock - Current inventory level.
Reorder Level - Reorder level (or reorder point) is the inventory level at which a retailer would place a new order
Reorder Quantity - The reorder quantity is the quantity of the order that is to be placed on a new purchase order.
Note: All these fields are used when searching for products. More search and ID fields are available under the Alternate ID's tab.
The next tab is the Categories tab, which is used to tag product records for reports (sales by category, inventory by category, etc).
Select the main category and any subcategories for this item in the panel. This information is used for reports, exports to accounting applications and stock tracking and analysis.
The Prices tab is used to enter the retail price for the product. This is the price that is used for the product in register sales and in orders.
In addition there are three other sub-tabs that allow you to set up special pricing for the product:
- Special Price - Set date-based prices for limited time sales and promotions
- Customer Pricing - Set different prices based on Customer Group of a customer record attached to a transaction
- Tiered Pricing - Set different prices based on quantity purchased
This displays the current stock and reorder information for your stores as well as providing a way to set the reorder levels and the opening stock balance and value.
- To set the opening stock balance, select any number of stores that will have the same stock balance and enter the beginning stock balance. You can also change the replacement cost and average cost of the product.
- To set the reorder level, select any number of stores that will have the same settings, and enter the reorder level and quantity to order. These values are used by the automated reorder tools in purchase order module.
Alternate ID's Tab
Sometimes there are several IDs for the same product that you want searchable from the front register. This tab enables you to enter various alternative IDs (product ID, manufacturer UPC, item number and alternate SKU) that will help you locate the item when searching or scanning a bar code from different parts of the application.
The Settings tab contains many controls and settings that change the behavior of the product in your system:
- Enabled - If product is disabled it is not visible in product searches and cannot be used in new transactions - but a disabled product will appear in reports.
- Tax Class- Determines which sales tax will be applied to product at sale.
- Do Not Discount - Restricts the item from being added to a special or promotion price as well as being discounted in a Front Register transaction.
- Sell in Fractional Quantities- Allows sale of a fractional quantity of the item (such as 1.6 meters of fabric or 2.5 hours of labor).
- Accept Returns - Default is 'yes'. If unchecked, system will prohibit returns of product at the register.
- Minimum Order Qty - You can set a minimum order quantity for the item, (such as 5 units). If used, buyer will be alerted in purchasing module if order quantity is below the minimum.
- Discontinued Item - If marked 'Yes' the items will continue to show up in searches and can be sold, received, transferred and placed on promotion, but can no longer be ordered.
Don't Forget to Save Record
To save any changes or information added to a Product Record. you must click on the orange Save button at the top right of the page. There are two save options: “Save & Continue” if you want to save the data and continue working on the Product Record, and 'Save & Exit' if you want to save the data and exit the page. You have now created a Simple Item.
Next Step: Creating Matrix Products Records>>