Importing Product Records
MicroBiz supports the ability to import product records, including simple products and matrix/configurable products. To import product records, you must import your data in the format of our standard data import templates.
Product import functions are accessed in Settings >> General >> File Imports.
The File Import table (Settings >> File Imports) shows the last 5 imports initiated over the last 48 hours, To create a new import, press either the '+ Customer Import'or '+ Product Import' at the top right corner. This will open a blank product record form.
Step One: Download Product Import Template
- What Would You Like to Import? - This setting determines which mapping rule will be applied the the data. Options include simple products, matrix products, non-inventory products and update stock levels. The selected option must match with the template used for the import. In this case, we will choose 'Simple Products'.
- File Import Action - Determines whether you will create new products or update existing ones on import.
- How are Unmatched Values Treated? - In some cases, you will import a product record which has a category, brand or other modifier or attribute that is not in your system. This setting manages whether this new modifier or attribute is automatically created and attached to the new product record, or whether the records with these unmatched values are skipped or omitted in the import.
- Update Key - This is used to determine which data field is used as the reference field or key in the import to determine duplicates.
Step Two: Configure Import Data
Once you have configured your import settings, the next step is organizing your data so that it can be imported into MicroBiz. You can download the appropriate import template from the Settings tab. Your data must conform exactly with the format of our import templates. Adding/removing any columns, reordering columns or changing the order or spelling of the column headers will cause your import to fail.
Below are the requirements and restrictions on file imports.
- File name must end in 'csv or .txt
- Comma and tab delimited files are supported.
Step Three: Import Data
Once your data is organized in the appropriate template, you can use the Upload Files tab to select the file to be uploaded. Always try a small sample file first to see if you have the settings and field mapping correct.
Limitations and Requirements
- Imports are limited to 5,000 rows/records.
- You can only import one type of product at a time (simple, matrix, non-inventory). The same file cannot reference multiple product types or attribute sets.
- You can undo the last 5 imports during the first 48 hours following the import. After 48 hours, an import cannot be deleted or undone.
- There is no undo and no mass delete of stock level updates - use caution.
Step Four: Confirm Import
To start the import, press the orange 'Finalize Import' button at the top right corner. This will start the import process. Depending on the size of the data file, the import can take several minutes. MicroBiz will send an email letting you know when the import is complete. The email will confirm the number of records and values created or updated, and display a list of the records that were rejected and why they were rejected.
Please be sure the check the error report included in the email notification. The error report may also be accessed by clicking on the gray 'view' button on each line of completed imports in the File Imports grid.
If you are not satisfied with the results of the import, you may undo or delete the 5 most recent imports, subject to a time limit of 48 hours. To undo an import, go to the File Imports grid, and press the gray 'undo' button. This will remove all records added through the deleted import.
Next Step: Creating Customer Records >>